The uses of Apostrophe are as follows : 1. It is used with the nouns to show possession
1. The girl's dress
2. A women's handkerchief
3. A boys' watch 2. When a noun ends with 's' or 'ss', an extra 's' is not added after the apostrophe
1. A class' teacher
2. Jesus' disciples 3. An extra's is not added when the plural form of the nouns ends with 's' or 'es'
1. Boys' school
2. Girls' bracelets 4. The letter 's' is added after the apostrophe when the plural forms of the nouns donot end with 's'
1. Men's job
2. Children's lady 5. Classical names ending in -s usually add only the apostrophe [']
1. Pythagoras' Theorem
2. Moses' laws 6. In compound Nouns, the last word takes the 's;
1. My sister-in-law's son
2. My mother-in-law's brother 7. The apostrophe will be used in the following manner in case of joint possession of two or more person.
1. Gita and Sita's room.
2. Ram, Shyam and Ravi's father. 8. The apostrophe is used in contracted forms.
9. Apostrophe is also used with nouns of space, time or weight
|I'am ||didn't ||won't |
|it's ||they'd ||they'll |
|can't ||we'are ||hasn't |
|we've ||I'd ||doesn't |
1. A month's salary
2. a pound's weight 10. A few common phrases use the 's;
1. at one's finger's ends
2. at one's wit's end