We use words to express our thoughts and feelings. These words are arranged in groups. Some of these groups make complete sense. For examples,
1. Odisha has fine beaches.
2. When did you go to Switzerland ?
3. How beautiful the sunrise scene was! A group of words that makes complete sense is called a sentence. A sentence expresses a complete thought. Definition of Sentence
:- A sentence begins with a capital letter and ends with a full stop (.), a question mark (?), or a mark of exclamation (!). Types of Sentences
There are four different types of sentences 1. Assertive or Declarative
1. Assertive or Declarative Sentence :- A sentence that makes a statement or assertion is called a Declarative or Assertive Sentence ; as
1. Radhika will teach the students today.
2. Borrowed garments never fit well.
Assertive sentences are of two types A. Affirmative Assertive Sentence
B. Negative Assertive Sentence
A. Affirmative Assertive Sentence:- Examples
1. Pankaj hit him hard.
2. I forgot to bring the book. B. Negative Assertive Sentence :- Examples
1. You do not look fresh.
2. Karan did not have his lunch.
2. Imperative Sentence:- A sentence which contains some command, request, advice or prohibition is called an Imperative Sentence; as
1. Sit down. (command)
2. Tell me something about ragas, please. (request)
3. Develop some taste for classical music. (advice)
3. Interrogative Sentence:- A sentence which asks a question is called a Interrogative Sentence; as
1. Who is Mr. Kumar?
2. Why were you absent yesterday?
An interrogative sentence can be a yes or no - question or a wh- question. A yes or no - question can be answered in yes or no. A wh- question begins with a question like when, who, why etc.
4. Exclamatory Sentence:- A sentence which expresses some strong or sudden feeling is called an Exclamatory Sentence; as
1. How clever the crow is!
2. What a pity! Points of Remember When writing sentences, remember that :
a. Every sentence begins with a capital letter.
b. Every Assertive and Imperative sentence ends with a full stop (.).
c. Every Interrogative sentence ends with a question mark (?).
d. Every Exclamatory word or sentence ends with an exclamation mark (!).